Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Being Wise

My very awesome pastor, Dave Reno, sent me the slide deck for a sermon he did on being wise. I asked him to send it to me because I have a lot to learn. I aspire to be like some wise people I have known (my dad, Uncle George) and some I havent (Jimmy Carter). Essentially, Dave said, that being wise isnt your IQ or your knowledge, its 'Navigating life without regrets'.
  1. When confronted with my sin/disobedience, questionable ethics or inconsiderateness, I do not blow it off or ridicule the standard or it’s presenter. Fools mock at making amends for sin, Proverbs 14:9
  2. I rarely put people down or make fun of the inadequacies of others. Drive out the mocker, and out goes strife; quarrels and insults are ended. Proverbs 22:10
  3. I regularly seek and accept the counsel of wise & godly people. He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm. Proverbs 13:20
  4. Others feel safe in confronting or correcting me. I respond without anger or defensiveness. "Whoever corrects a mocker invites insult; whoever rebukes a wicked man incurs abuse. [8] Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you; rebuke a wise man and he will love you. Proverbs 9:7-8
  5. My thoughts & decisions regularly seek God’s perspective. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, Proverbs 1:7. Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; Proverbs 3:5
  6. I am known for my humility & do not draw attention to my accomplishments or opinions. Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. James 3:13
  7. I am slow to anger and am self controlled when annoyed, frustrated, or hurt. A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult. Proverbs 12:16
  8. I am submissive to authorities in my life. But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. James 3:17
  9. I was/am submissive to my parents & made them proud when young. A wise son brings joy to his father, but a foolish son grief to his mother. Proverbs 10:1 A wise son heeds his father’s instruction, but a mocker does not listen to rebuke. Proverbs 13:1
  10. I carry my share of the family load & others agree. He who gathers crops in summer is a wise son, but he who sleeps during harvest is a disgraceful son. Proverbs 10:5

How do I get wise?

  • Ask God
  • Read the directions (bible)
  • Ask for advice and take it
  • Accept rebuke
  • Hang with the wise
  • Be submissive
  • Seek God in everything

Please pray for me to apply this (and for me to get my swaps done)




No comments:

Post a Comment