Monday, September 23, 2013

Walt Disney World Trip - Day 1

Ken, Austin, and I have had a super long day today. We got up at 4:00am to get to Humphrey airport by 6 for an 8am flight. Our flight left on time and was mostly uneventful except for a slight medical emergency; on our flight, I guess some young girl fainted and needed to get oxygen and then paramedics when we landed.

Anyway, we landed around 1230 EST, rented a car and then tried to find a grocery store on our way to Fort Wilderness. By 'try' I mean that we stopped at a gift and super market (next to our favorite chik-fi-let) that was just a tourist trap in disguise. Cases of water were $10 and a 12 pack of pop was $6. If those prices weren't bad enough, the real alligator heads and real baby sharks in a jar certainly sent me over the edge.

We got to FW around 2 and then spent a few hours unloading the car, getting the scooter set up and learning how to dismantle and then put it together again before heading to EPCOT.

Our must dos at EPCOT were;
- Gramma trying Italy Coke at Club Cool. We heard that this was disliked so much that most people spit it out but Austin and I liked it and thought it tasted a bit like Bubble Gum. I actually liked all of them except china which tasted like watermelon. We really liked Israel coke also which was like a spicy lemonade.

- Austin riding Soarin. This ride is a fantasy flying adventure with impacts to all senses. They use wind, a forced perspective on speed, and ocean and orange grove smells to completely make you feel like you flying. I forget how fun this ride is until I get lifted up and then the movie starts.

- Grampa wanted to see Illuminations. We had both heard that this was the best of all the fireworks shows and I do have to agree that it was better than Fantasmic. It had a fiery hot beginning and then fireworks, then some of the buildings in different countries lit up, then more fireworks, and then a huge rotating earth that was lit up with americana images, and then  a powerful fireworks finale that had every cheering and clapping.

Austin got a new mickey baseball hat and gramma got a new disney pin.

My favorite part of the day was dinner at La Hacienda. Grampa and I shared a combo some hispanic sounding thing that was essentially a steak, chicken and sausage stir fry with squash and corn and black beans. Austin had steak tacos and then we shared a carmel apple pie and chocolate mousse for dessert.


Tomorrow is another day. Animal Kingdom, then a 7pm hayride, and the the Hoop De Do review at 830. I will try to post some pics but I have to go to bed because I am one tired gramma.

No comments:

Post a Comment